The Hangout is a FREE outreach after school ministry for Haywood County. We believe that students are a valuable and integral part of our community. We provide a supervised and safe place for students to have a snack, get started on homework, enjoy outside play time and make friends.
How does The Hangout work?
- The Hangout is completely FREE to any student wanting to attend.
- The Hangout is open to elementary and middle school age students.
- The Hangout is open 3:00-5:30 pm each day.
- Students are given a snack each day.
- Students may ride a school bus to our parking lot each afternoon.
- Students are met at the bus stop by a staff member and parents are notified via text message that their student(s) have arrived.
- Students are not required to attend every day in order to participate.
- There is optional homework tutoring opportunities for students.
- Register Here
How can you support The Hangout?
- Donations can be made to buy snacks for the students as well as recreation gear.
- WE NEED VOLUNTEERS-A-PLENTY!! If you are looking for a place to serve within the walls of Long’s Chapel then this is the place for you! If you would like to volunteer then please make a note to Grady Wiley on your Connect Card during worship or email Grady.Wiley@LongsChapel.com.
Meet our Staff
Grady Wiley is a native of Waynesville, North Carolina. He earned his bachelors degree in Youth Ministry and Christian Education from Pfeiffer University. Grady was the Director of Discipleship at Unity United Methodist Church while earning his degree. Grady was the worship leader at Central United Methodist Church in Asheville from 2011 to 2018 and was also the Director of Youth and Audio/Visual Ministries at FUMC Waynesville from 2012 to 2017. Grady is now the Director of Modern Worship and The Hangout here at Long’s Chapel. Grady resides in Clyde with his wife Kayln, who is a provisional deacon in The United Methodist Church and serves at Mills River UMC. Grady and Kayln are avid Disney nerds. Their idea of a romantic date is walking down Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom while eating a Mickey pretzel.
Kathy Stovall is a Haywood County native who has worked in childcare for her adult career. She has an amazing husband, Will, who plays drums in the church praise band. Kathy also has two children who are active within Long’s Chapel. We are so happy to have Kathy onboard as one of our staff.
Katie Stovall is attending Haywood Community College on a business track. She has been an active member of Long’s Chapel since early childhood. She graduated from Tuscola High School and was a member of our Revolution Student Ministries. She loves all things beach related and spends a lot of time at Dollywood!
175 Old Clyde Rd., Waynesville, NC 28785
828.456.3993 Ext. 301